Monday, July 19, 2010

BEST CHILDHOOD MEMORY

Once again our CreateCrochet Team posted a question of the week: What are you best childhood memories?

This created quite a dilemma for reasons I'd rather not get into at this time. There are two specific memories that come to mind which make me smile.

First, it's my Daddy. When I was little, he's the one I remember being with me through so many things. I was his "Babydoll", as he called me all his life. When I had my tonsils out, he stayed with me and got me the most beautiful Bride Doll any 2 1/2 year old girl could ever want.  He also won this Bunny Rabbit in blue gingham overalls at a church bazaar that I named Theresa. I carried her everywhere with me and slept with her. When her stitches gave way, daddy fixed her up!

When we would go for a ride, I would always stand next to him with my arm around his shoulders (no seat belt laws back in the late 50s and early 60s). As I grew taller (and that took forever because I was and am always the shortest person in the group), I stood behind him as he drove and put my hands on his shoulders. We always listened to polkas wherever we went. I never realized how much I loved polkas. 

We would always watch cartoons on Saturday morning and I never knew if I was laughing at the cartoons or how much daddy was laughing.  I miss him so much since his passing in 1996, yet I know he is always with me.

My other wonderful memory is being with my cousins Barbara, Jeannie and Janet planning our family Christmas Pageant at Babu (short for Babula which is Polish for Grandma) Gula's (my Daddy's mom).  My dad came from a large family so I had lots of cousins. I was closest to Barbara, Jeannie and Janet, and we would start in the summer planning for our grand program that we would perform for the family on Christmas Eve.  To be honest, the planning was almost more fun than the actual event itself. Of course we took our task very serious, right down to making costumes,  props and whatever else it took to make our pageant a success!  It was never work; as I look back, it was pure fun and love.

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

What a fun collection of memories. It sounds like you were quite a daddy's girl. I'm a daddy's girl too.

Mamta Motiyani said...

You blog and childhood memories makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time. Very touching. I'm sure both you and your dad must be lucky to have each other in their lives. Always treasure these great memories and forget the rest.

Jess said...

what great memories!! I used to put on shows for my grandmother..althoug it was mostly sumersalts & cartwheels on her front lawn... :D